Successful EU Conference on Plastics!
On the 8th and 9th of December 2016 approximately 300 participants gathered to contribute to the development of the European Strategy on Plastics. It was a very intriguing and energizing conference with a highly interactive programme, numerous discussions engaging speakers and collective eagerness to sustain momentum: let’s keep this going! Please watch the aftermovie to experience the EU conference on plastics.
Ambitions and expectations are high! A future with less plastic waste, with greater focus on new ways to (re)use plastics and on better design to reduce the application of plastic in products, is a future that we all visualized. And more…! Around 30 success business cases and issues were discussed at the roundtables. Participants felt inspired and triggered. In those two days, we witnessed the power of collective thinking and action. Stakeholders shared their expertise and experiences, and co-created possibilities to realize a more rapid and through transition towards a Circular Plastics Economy. Please find here the key actions in pursue of a Circular Plastics Economy.
Everyone agreed: the EU Conference on Plastics was a very good start to accelerate a circular plastic transition. And again: we have to carry on! We treasure the efforts and contribution! We fully exploited the value of having so many engaged stakeholders in the room and together we made the EU Conference on Plastics a huge success. The output of the roundtable discussions will serve as input for the EU Strategy on Plastics. In April 2017 a follow up meeting will be organized for 5 themes (roundtable discussions) to bring the output further and the key actions more concrete. Soon we will announce which roundtable sessions will be part of this follow up meeting. All participants will receive an invitation for this meeting!
The output of the roundtable discussions will also form the basis of Dutch national policy, the transition agenda on plastics, which is part of the Circular Economy Programme. In March 2017 a kick-off meeting of this programme will be organized. At the kick-off meeting a follow up of around 10 roundtable discussions will be organized. At this meeting we will continue on the discussion. Special attention will be given to concrete next steps and actions. The invitation will be send to our Dutch partners soon! Also a reminder for our Dutch partners: do not forget to sign our “Resource convenant“.
Please find here the summary of 4 table discussion, in which you find a lot of follow up action. The others will follow soon! All participants of the EU conference on Plastics are invited to stay (pro)active in this transition and the follow up actions. Do you remember the action you committed yourself to at the EU conference on plastics? Share it with us! Interested in the other 299 participants? Please find here the list of all participants.
Also at the end of 2017 another follow up of this conference will be organized. Also internationally, thoughts and actions to further include plastics in the circular economy are being set up.
Please download here:
- key actions for the EU strategy on plastics;
- aftermovie of the EU conference on plastics;
- video message of Frans Timmermans;
- video of the Plastic Trendwatchacademy;
- video of the Beyond Plastics Innovation Showcase;
- presentations of the (guest) speakers:
- mr. Pex Langenberg: Speech Mr Pex Langenberg, alderman city Rotterdam & Presentation Mr Pex Langenberg, alderman city Rotterdam
- mr. Kestutis Saudauskas, European Commission, Mr. Kestutis @ rotterdam 8Dec2016
- mrs. Sharon Dijksma, Minister of the Environment, The Netherlands, speech
- mrs. Ankie Wersch, Enviu & Daniella Russo, Think Beyond Plastics: Keynote system change Ankie_Daniela
- Portfolio of 10 ambitious and high potential start-ups (USA/EU) focused on reducing plastic pollution;
- mr. Ton van Keken, Interface: Towards a Restorative Enterprise
- Plastic Trendwatch Academy: FINAL The future of plastics presentation